- Write the letter content highlighting our suggested action points or the following points for MP, MSP or Councillor on this page. Use your own words, since copy-pasted letters are less effective and may be blocked.
- Enter your UK postcode here. Click on the name and paste the corresponding letter to the form.
Deidre Brock MP, Edinburgh North & Leith firstname.lastname@example.org
Joanna Cherry MP, Edinburgh South West email@example.com
Tommy Sheppard MP, Edinburgh East firstname.lastname@example.org
Ian Murray MP, Edinburgh South email@example.com
Christine Jardine MP, Edinburgh West firstname.lastname@example.org
What to write to an MP:
See the following template for general inspiration (use your own words!), but focus on these points:
- Provide military assistance to Ukraine. Ukraine is fighting in a war for all the free world, against the totalitarian, terrorist state that is using nuclear blackmail to deter support. The defeat of Ukraine would be the defeat, both material and moral, for those observing from afar.
- Ukraine is requesting material military assistance: tanks, fighter planes, air-defence systems, anti-tank missiles, drones, night vision goggles, helmets, vests, other military equipment.
- Waive visa restrictions for Ukrainians. Current routes for refugees are slow, bureaucratic, poorly organised and not suitable for people fleeing the war.
- Provide humanitarian assistance to Ukraine, working with many international and local organizations.
- Further, increase economic pressure on the Russian state. Ban SWIFT completely. Stop buying Russian fossils. Stop buying Russian products. Sanction all Russian oligarchs.
What to write to an MSP:
Same as MP letter, with a request to use all available channels to influence Westminster. In addition, you can ask for the following:
- Cut ties Scotland has with Russia and Russian business and cultural interests.
- Support local Scottish humanitarian efforts.
- Create a route to Scotland for Ukrainian refugees and support them in Scotland.
What to write to a Councillor:
See the following template (use your own words!).
- Act with the relevant departments within the City Council for your city to become a real place of welcome, safety and sanctuary for Ukrainians fleeing war.
- Show signs of support for Ukraine. Where can the city fly the blue and yellow flag of Ukraine? Where can we light buildings blue and yellow? These actions may be symbolic, but they are very encouraging to let Ukrainians know that the world stands with them.